Friday, December 20, 2013

Introducing Sam Sullivan

Sam Sullivan in a TrailRider in the snow!
There is a sled device attached to the wheel
Another "introducing" post.

Ros is teaching me that the key to all this online stuff is the connections that get built - hang on, I thought I was the computer nerd?

Sam Sullivan (see Wikipedia) invented the TrailRider and what prompts this post is that he said hello through a comment. Google, mysteriously, led him to a post here - I suspect that he might have been Googling himself ;-) because  it was part of a conversation where I accidentally typed his name instead of someone else at Disability Foundation in Vancouver.

In 1978 Sam had a skiing accident which left him quadriplegic. He worked tirelessly towards better lives for the disabled founding several organisations with a variety of disability focuses, served as Mayor of Vancouver and invented the TrailRider. 

Wikipedia suggests that there are 100 of these in the world - so 10% are in Australia!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes that would mean 3% in Powell River, British Columbia, Canada (Population 14000).... by comparison and size - WOW Powell River is pretty cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found your comment - I am not being notified properly so I apologise.

      I actually question the figure I have given. Perhaps we'll know more soon as John Kenwright is visiting the Sam Sulivan Disability Foundation in Vancouver this week.

      Delete

iPad, iPhone beware! Many people comment and lose their work. To avoid this use the Anonymous option which is safe. Tell me who you are though!

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You can remain anonymous if you prefer (just select Anonymous from the bottom of the 'Comment As' list)

If you don't like the idea of joining something else out there to keep in touch with TrailRider Tales consider registering your email with this blog to be kept informed when there are new posts or replies to your comment.