Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ten thousand pageviews

One of the blogs that I follow, Wheelchair Kamikaze, recently posted to celebrate his millionth page view. That got me thinking and this post began forming in my mind.

It's not the same order of celebration of course - there will be 99 more of these before we catch up with Marc - but still 10,000 feels good. I have used the setting on Blogspot where I can stop my accesses being logged. Without that we'd probably be at 20,000!

It's also a time to ponder the blog. As you may have seen my posts are always quite short - terse even - and I know that this is not what some people (Ros is one) want from a blog. I am not averse to writing more, going on a bit if you know what I mean, in fact I enjoy the writing process but some reserve, some sense of economy, a fear perhaps of using up people's time leads to most of my posts being a single page.

For me the important defining purpose of a blog like this is to tell people about each new chapter of the TrailRider story. Now I come to think about it this is just about the only post that has not been prompted by a TrailRider development. It is also worth noting that my tortuous two finger typing, where most words need several attempts, make short posts attractive to me.

I'd be fascinated, absolutely fascinated, to hear what you think. Dare to leave a comment which can be anonymous if you wish.

Winding up, and pondering a different style of blog, one that is more definitely part of the blogosphere, I would mention my dear, deceased friend Denis Wright whose My Unwelcome Stranger blog was a haven for him and thousands of others during his four years of sickness. He wrote in the way that I have precisely not done here -so far..

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on the numbers of views... love your blogs and actually look forward to hearing of your up dates through them. Keep doing what you're doing... also like that its not too long otherwise I might skim to read later - CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CC - thank you for commenting. One vote for short posts!

      Are there places in your life that need a TrailRider? Are you a potential sherpa (AKA an upright) or a rider (AKA a wheelie)?

      Delete
  2. Congratulations my Darling!
    That you write this much at all, with the difficulty you experience manipulating your two fingers tapping on the keyboard. It's a minor miracle and a mark of your fierce determination to get the joys of the TrailRider and access to wild places out there.
    Keep on keeping on sharing your warm and joyful light.
    Here's to marking the 20,000th view.
    (Vale dear Denis.....I miss his blog posts dreadfully.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - not just for commenting.

      Thank you for all the enormous efforts you have put into this since that first Canadian outing in 2009. Thank you, even, for talking me into giving it a try, against my better judgement - you see it's really all your fault!

      Thank you too for all the ways you champion me - and the TrailRider

      I too miss Denis. Commenting on his blog was one of my greatest writing pleasures.

      Delete
  3. Keep on keeping on. I love the blogs as they are now. 1 page is good for lots of reasons. Here are some:
    * A lot of people with disabilities who may be reading this could be like me and have a head that can't deal with too much info at once.
    * Anyone reading this is likely to be outdoors got get 'em type and have things to DO and a life to LIVE! So would probably rather be doing things then just reading things. :D
    * Means easier reading with hands that don't work too good. Most I can read with out scrolling or clicking which is fabulous and less tiring.
    And I am sure other reason too...
    So keep up the good work.

    Cheers
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise - another vote for short and thank you so much for setting out the reasons so clearly.

      Would you welcome a post here about your Kosciusko dream?

      Cheers
      Dave

      Delete
  4. I love reading your updates! Staying up-to-date with you and the trailrider story via this blog is great for me! And the length is perfect for me too! Less is more. If you feel the urge to write about other things, too distant from the trailrider story to be relevant for this blog, you could have a separate blog? Most importantly, you should do what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree entirely. Ros and I have plans for a joint "Denis style" blog. I'm so glad you enjoy th posts - already beyond 10,100

      Delete
  5. PS) Congrats on 10,000x! It reminds me of the 1,000x gym visits we celebrated a few years back! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great memory - can you make me a certificate? ;-)

      How is "Dr Dave tackles mountains" going? ;-)

      Delete
  6. David: love your posts as you have been making them - and believe there is good scope for the occasional longer piece on, maybe, the progress with overall strategy or the like. Keep it coming, Bernie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very useful input Bernie - I have some thoughts about longer term strategy and would love to ponder them at length

      Delete

iPad, iPhone beware! Many people comment and lose their work. To avoid this use the Anonymous option which is safe. Tell me who you are though!

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You can remain anonymous if you prefer (just select Anonymous from the bottom of the 'Comment As' list)

If you don't like the idea of joining something else out there to keep in touch with TrailRider Tales consider registering your email with this blog to be kept informed when there are new posts or replies to your comment.